Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I am back!

I have been very busy at work all summer and have not gotten anything done. The garden is a total weed factory, the chickens have all but been wiped out in two separate incidents. Now the season is over practically I am finally finding time to do some things.

This is what happens when you work 12 or more hours a day, then come home and crash!

 I have been spending my time, when I had time,battling the weeds in the aisles and not even getting to the beds. I would weed, then throw spoiled straw on the aisle, weed, more straw etc. Then I got the revelation, heck with this, why I am weeding the aisles, so out comes the weed wacker! Smack myself in the forehead, why didn't I think of this earlier? Why do the aisles have to be weed free? Wack them down and then spend the little time I do have on the beds!
I got all this done in a couple hours this past Sunday. Its not pretty, but it will be. The weeds were taller than me, and I am 5'6. If I just weed wack once a week or every two, easy peasy right?
 
So then I made a new rule, the beds are only 3' x 10'. I made them that way so I can practice square foot gardening, and no walking on them, to reduce soil compaction. I can weed one in about a half hour taking my sweet time. So the new rule is one hour a day weeding and spreading the spoiled straw on the beds and I should be able to get two done a night. So it goes in my head! All I have to do is Do It!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment