Sunday, September 8, 2013

Bee vaccum Part 2

As mentioned in Part 1 kudos for this design go to http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac.
I am just merely copying and sharing my results.
So this is the upper box that goes on top of a standard hive box. I didn't mention earlier that you can use a deep hive or a medium deep hive, I just happen to have a deep hive. I made all this from stuff I have laying around in the garage. You can use what ever you want. Stay tuned later for Part 3 which is as he calls it a 1" shim for putting a brood box on.
Again I cut a 1x4 to the size of the super.

I used my table saw and just a groove in for the sliding top, it took a couple passes.

The front piece is shorter in height to allow for the top to slide out. Glue and nail everything.

The top that slides out with 2 2 1/4 holes drilled through. I used 2 1/4 this time the 2 1/2 on the first box just seemed to sloppy. I had to do a little sanding but the hoses fit much better.


I used a piece of 1x4 just to beef up where it goes. It wasn't in the original plans but I think the plywood is flimsy. Its only 1/4". This is optional.

I forgot this on part one. Its a piece of Plexiglas for a gate where the hose goes in. When in transport mode both screws are in so bees cant come out. When using vacuum one screw comes out and it pivots out of the way.

This is the second hole on the top. A piece of Plexiglas with one screw. This acts as your suction monitor. You close and open it to adjust the vacuum. You want just enough vacuum to slightly pull the bees off the comb, but not so much it smashes them against the inside of the boxes.

Bottom of the top box is screened, so the girls don't get sucked into the vacuum.

When you are done and ready to transport the top slides off so the girls can get some air and not over heat.

Just about done.

Again on the bottom of the top box I used some 5/16 thick by3/4 wide double sticky weather stripping so when you join the two boxes it will give a nice seal. Only stick it to the top box, leave the protective coating on the side going towards the hive so it doesn't stick to the hive box.

I put an eye bolt into the sides of the bottom box to secure a strap to. This keeps everything nice and tight, for air pressure and so done of the girls get out during transport.

Here is everything strapped together. I did a test and it seems to work. I just need to test it on something that ways as much as a bee does. Stay tuned for Part 3.