Thursday, September 19, 2013

Crotchety Beekeeper!

So I try to be in good positive attitude most of the time. But some things just grind my gears(I stole that from family guy)  Anyway I went to the local county bee keepers meeting tonight. I will not name names, or where. The older gentleman running the show, and who is also a mentor to the young club members, treats  everyone like they don't know what they are doing or what they are talking about, unless you are another older gentleman. I'm beginning to think you have to be old and crotchety to be a bee keeper. For example, I am on the swarm call list. I have gotten 4 swarm calls in the last week besides my own swarm. I don't have any more equipment, so I waited till the meeting was over and he asked if any body had any thing else, so I raised my hand, and said I know its the wrong time of year, but I have a swarm call if anybody is interested in it let me know after the meeting. This gentlemen argued with me that they are yellow jackets, I explained to him no they are honey bees that I have already went and looked at them and this is my fourth one in a week. And he still proceeded to tell me that they were yellow jackets in front of the group, treating me like I didn't know what I was talking about.
Then a new bee keeper asked a question about what to do for winter preparation, and this elderly gentleman asked the new bee keeper if he treated for mites yet, when he answered no the older gentleman belittled the new bee keeper in front of the crowd,because he didn't treat for mites yet, then he never finished answering the question properly, he kind of answered it under his breath and moved on.
Why do older bee keepers give off that crotchety feeling? If your a experienced bee keeper in a mentoring program, you should at least be friendly and helpful.
After the meeting I went up to the new bee (haha) and offered what I do for winter prep, and told him my way is not necessarily the right way, and I proceed to answer all his questions. That's how you mentor someone. In a field such as beekeeping, there are enough stepping stones and set backs, who needs a crotchety old beekeeper that doesn't want to give you the time of day, and belittles you. This bee keeper needs to retire, and I will be the first one in line to buy his equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment